TACC/VACC is proud to announce a new service to our members. Together with iPeople, we are now able to conduct employment reference checks on your behalf to assist you and your company to avoid costly hiring mistakes.
Research indicates that a high proportion of resumes include misleading information, particularly overstating job responsibilities. Checking applicants' references is one of the most important procedures in the hiring process. It can be a time consuming and difficult process and comes with a host of legal implications. Conducting a minimum of two work-related verbal reference checks spanning the candidates most recent five years of employment history, prior to an offer of employment, is considered best practice.
Reference checking is most effective when:
- conducted by a trained HR professional – someone who is skilled at asking open ended questions and probing for more details to identify gaps in information
- compliant with Australian privacy laws and conducted by someone who is impartial and has no vested interest in obtaining a positive result
- conducted with the most appropriate referee, not the most favourable referee
- the reference process is consistent for all candidates thereby removing any possible allegations of inconsistency or discrimination.
The reference checking service is quick and easy for you to use –the detail is taken care of for you.
There are two types of reference checks:
1. Verification check
(TACC/VACC member price: $75 plus GST per check; non member price $90 plus GST)
A quick process to verify:
- employment position held
- dates of employment
- reasons for leaving
- if they would re-hire.
2. Detailed check
(TACC/VACC member price: $175 plus GST per check; non member price $200 plus GST)
A detailed conversation with the referee that covers the above Verification and a comprehensive discussion about the following areas, and a detailed transcript is diligently recorded and provided for your records.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work with a team
- Computer skills
- Overall strengths and weaknesses
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Problem solving, analytical skills
- Other specific areas you want to cover.
How it works
Step 1: Place your order
Step 2: iPeople conducts reference check
- When iPeople receives the Reference Check Request Form from VACC, they will call you to confirm receipt and if there are any particular areas you’d like them to focus on during the reference check.
- Depending on the availability of the referee, they aim to have the reference checks conducted within two business days.
Step 3: You receive the reference check
- A detailed transcript is completed and emailed or faxed back to you.